Kids Say the Darndest Things
A 6th grade student walks up to me, “I’m really good at guessing people’s weight.”
“Okay,” I reply.
She stares at me for a moment, then says, “I am. I’m really good at it.”
“Okay, go for it,” I say.
“Go for it. Do me,” I challenge.
A little taken aback, she pauses for a moment, “Oh, okay, um…” She studies me, thoughtfully, then loudly she guesses, “145!”
“Humpf,” I scoff, “Nope!’
“Well,” she stammers, “I’m better at guessing kids’ weight, not adults.”
“Ohhh…” I say, “I see. Well, you were about 20 lbs off.”
“Like I said,” she explains, “I’m better with kids. I never would have guessed you weighed 165.”
This Week on Instagram
My photo-a-day challenge on Instagram has started with a bang. I am loving the photos from all of the participants. I’m thinking of doing some sort of Best of post or something. It’s not too late to join!
This Weeks Highs & Lows
- We had an unexpected day off on Tuesday for the Primaries. Happy to have the day off, devastated by the results of Super Tuesday. Get it together, America! This is the future of our country, not the latest reality show.
- Kind of off topic, but I picked up Kindergarten registration papers for my daughter. Nooooooo! It seems like only yesterday I was trying to figure out how to pump in between cleaning brushes and loading the kiln. *Sigh*
- Snow days, delayed starts, early releases, assemblies and field trips have messed with my previously perfectly timed calendar. Which is why I found myself bouncing from painting to clay to oil pastels, back to clay, and then back to painting. It made for an exhausting day.
- It’s bobblehead time! (again) The students are so excited to make these. My Kinders and first graders are already asking me if they’ll get to make them when they’re in second grade.
- What would it be like to attend a costume party with Bauhaus artists? Like this.
- Paul Klee’s notebooks, now available for viewing online.
- These wildlife portraits are heartbreaking.
- I feel like I have conversations with my students about this almost daily.
- I have a love/hate relationship with Keurigs. With these ideas, I might be able to reduce my guilt over using K-cups. At least some of it.
- I like this roundup of activities for an architecture center.
- This bathing suit speaks to the Art Deco lover in me.
- A necessary reminder.